Fighting weeds is a tiresome task. But leaving them to grow isn’t an option.
You can use many methods such as; pitchforks, mulching, handpicking, and applying herbicides, among others, to destroy weeds. However, none of these is as efficient as using an electric weed eater.
As long as you are using the best electric weed eater, cutting weeds or trimming grass will be a lot easier. Needless to say, these devices allow you to keep a neat-looking and well-organized lawn with very little effort.
Electric weed wackers, as they are also known, come in an array of designs, sizes, and colors to suit a landscaper’s needs, preferences, and lifestyle. They are also portable, lightweight, and quiet when working on your lawn.
Furthermore, they are efficient, powerful, and easy to use. But most importantly, you can use these tools for precision grass trimming, edging, weed removal, and brush clearing.
So, how do you select the best electric weed eaters from the rest? First, let’s start with this popular question among our readers.
- Comparison chart: What are some of the best electric weed eaters?
- Top 5 electric weed eaters in 2022
- Features to consider before buying an electric weed eater?
- Which is the best for your yard – a gas or electric weed eater?
- Which electric weed eater should you use – corded or cordless?
- Factors to consider before purchasing an electric weed eater
Comparison chart: What are some of the best electric weed eaters?
This comparison table will make it easier for you to choose an electric weed eater that suits you best:
|Electric weed eater||Battery||Type||Shaft||Price|
|WORX WG163 GT||20v x 2||Cordless||Adjustable|
Top 5 electric weed eaters in 2022
Ready to shop? We have created a roundup of the best electric weed eaters for you to choose from:
1. WORX WG163 GT String Trimmer & Edger
The WORX WG163 GT is a 2-in-1 cordless electric weed eater that weighs 5.3 lbs. It can function as both a trimmer and an edger.
It comes with two powerful and lightweight 20V batteries that will last for about 40 minutes non-stop and have a life expectancy of three years. Its 10-inch cutting path is also ideal for trimming around the yard, curbing, and walkways.
- It is reliable and easy to use
- You will get a free spool for life.
- It has an adjustable spacer guard for uniformed trimming.
- It is lightweight and makes it easier to trim and edge plants.
- Ideal for straighter lines and cleaner cuts.
- It is quite expensive
The WORX WG163 GT is the best electric weed trimmer for landscapers need a durable weed eater that is durable and can cut any types of weeds.
2. BLACK+DECKER BESTA510 String Trimmer
The BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer is a corded electric weed eater that has a speed of 8000 rpm. It only weighs 3.19 pound, which is lightweight enough to handle trimming jobs around driveways, sidewalks, and flower beds with ease.
This BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer features a cord retention system that prevents accidental disconnections while working. Given the reliability of the brand behind this product, you shouldn’t be surprised at how good it is.
- It has an edging wheel to allow for better edging.
- Its Automatic Feed Spool technology removes bumping for more string.
- It is cheaper compared to similar units.
- You may need to replace the string after a few uses.
The BLACK+DECKER String Trimmer is the best electric weed eater for seniors and those who want a device that is easy to handle when working in a small or medium yard.
3. Greenworks 2101602 String Trimmer
The Greenworks String Trimmer is a 12-Inch (cut path), 40-volt cordless electric weed eater that comes with a 2.0Ah battery.
On a full charge, it can work on a half-acre property for 30 minutes. The unit has an ergonomic design and is powerful enough to handle difficult tasks.
- It comes with a variable speed trigger.
- It allows for smooth operation and less noise.
- One charge delivers absolute power to get the job done.
- Great for large lawns
- It is heavy. It weighs 15 pounds.
- It is expensive
If you want a powerful cordless electric weed wacker that can trim a large lawn in a single charge, the Greenworks String Trimmer is what you need.
4. CRAFTSMAN CMCST910M1 String Trimmer/Edger
The CRAFTSMAN CMCST910M1 is a 2-in-1 electric weed wacker that works as both a trimmer and an edger. It has two-speed settings that allow you to choose what power you would like it to run at and for how long.
The weeds remover comes with an adjustable shaft to fit any height and has a 13-inch cutting swath for extra efficiency.
- Has a 4.0 Ah battery that allows for a longer runtime.
- It is easy to control your line from the push of a button.
- It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- Its auto line feed function may not work well sometimes.
The CRAFTSMAN CMCST910M1 is the best string trimmer for those who are looking for a longer runtime from a weed eater. It is also easy to adjust depending on your height.
5. Toro 51480 Corded Electric Trimmer/Edger
The Toro 51480 is a corded, 14-Inch electric trimmer and edger that comes with a powerful 5-amp motor. It has a 14-inch dual-line cutting head that makes it easier to trim and edge yards and finish the work quickly.
Its adjustable shaft allows for an extended reach, and you can switch from a trimmer to an edger in seconds. Besides, it can trim any type of weed and grass.
- It is powerful, durable, and has high-performing features.
- It is ideal for cutting through thick grass due to its 5 amp motor.
- Has an auto-feed trim line that adjusts automatically to allow for the perfect cutting length.
- You have to pause non-stop when anytime you are advancing a line.
The Toro 51480 is one of the best electric weed eaters for landscapers that require a powerful tool for dealing with thick grass in high wear situations.
Features to consider before buying an electric weed eater?
Here are some top features that you should expect to find in the best rated electric weed eaters:
- Battery capacity: A unit with the highest voltage (preferably 40 volts) or Amp-hours (preferably 4.0 Ah) is better.
- Weight: Buy a weed eater that is less than 10 pounds in weight, especially if you plan to work with it quite often.
- Speed: The speed of the weed remover should not be less than 2,500 rpm.
- Shaft: Your weed remover can either have a curved or straight bar. However, an adjustable one is better than a fixed one.
Many electric weedeater reviews also suggest that you should look out for features such as speed controls, warranty, trimmer design, and guard quality, among others.
Which is the best for your yard – a gas or electric weed eater?
There is no explicit answer to this question because both weed eaters can perform the same task of keeping your yard clean and well-trimmed. However, each of them has its pros and cons.
The advantages of electric weed wacker are that they:
- Are less noisy
- Do not produce fumes
- Are easy to use
- Can trim your lawn evenly
On the other hand, those who own gas-powered weed eaters will tell you that they:
- Are powerful
- Can zip through a job
- Can handle all types of weeds
Since both gas and electric weed eaters work well, the choice comes down to the size of your lawn or yard, how you tolerate pollution and noise, and the type of terrain you want to handle.
If your lawn is large, an electric trimmer with a power cord will not be the best for you. On the other hand, if you cannot tolerate pollution and noise, do not go for a gas weed eater.
Which electric weed eater should you use – corded or cordless?
Corded electric weed eaters perform well for specific homeowners. If you have a small lawn that is less than 100 feet from a power outlet, then go for the corded weed eater.
You can also go for the corded types if you have a long outdoor-rated extension cord. They are also cheap, discharge their functions indefinitely, and will start immediately you power them.
Cordless electric weed eaters, on the other hand, are premium battery-powered machines. The advantage of having them is that they are not pollutants, they run quietly, and are ideal for a small-sized property.
If you have a large lawn, you need to keep in mind that these devices can only operate for less than an hour on a single charge.
Note that they may not discharge their functions indefinitely depending on the lifespan of the batteries. However, you might overcome this issue by purchasing an additional battery.
Factors to consider before purchasing an electric weed eater
If you are shopping for the best electric grass trimmer, here are some things to put into consideration:
1. Size of your yard
The size of your lawn will help you to determine the type of weed eater to buy.
If you have a small area that you can reach with an extension cord, then a corded machine is what you need. But if you have a large property, a cordless model is excellent for you.
Cost is a key consideration because the prices of these machines vary widely. Corded trimmers are cheaper but limit you to the area you can cover. But if you can afford an extra outdoor-rated extension cord, then they are worth the price.
Cordless weed eaters are expensive, but you can carry them anywhere you go. However, you have to recharge them frequently.
3. Type of trimmer line
The trimmer line on the machine will determine how well it can cut unwanted plants on your lawn or in hard-to-reach areas.
Trimmer lines differ in size (diameter), shape (round, square, twisted, etc.), and single, fixed, or dual-line. Choose a unit based on the amount of work you want to accomplish and how efficiently you want to do the job.
The run time determines how long it will take for the battery to drain out while using your electric weed eater.
Also, consider charge time to define the duration it will take to refill the battery fully.
Weeding is tiring but necessary and that’s why you need equipment that will allow you to weed effortlessly. The best electric weed eaters allow for precision grass trimming, edging, weed removal, and brush clearing.
When buying a cordless weed remover, ensure it has a longer runtime of 40 minutes on a full charge. If you go for a corded tool, you may also need to buy an outdoor-rated cord. But in general, choose a unit that provides enough power to handle your landscaping needs with ease.