Are Easter lilies poisonous to humans and pets?

Easter lilies are aesthetically pleasing and can help to purify the air in your home. While you can use them to decorate your home, either indoors or outdoors, they shouldn’t be consumed.

Easter lilies are toxic to cats and birds and can cause side effects in humans and dogs. All parts of the plant are poisonous, from the tip to the roots and pollen. The plant can even be fatal if ingested by a cat.

Kittens are the most susceptible to the plant because of their small size and their natural tendency and curiosity to investigate things around them. But the problem is that the toxic principles of the Easter lily remain undetermined.

That means when your cat ingests any part of the plant, even in a small amount, no antidote will help to cure it.

What happens when cats ingest Easter lilies?

The toxicity mechanism involves damage to the functional unit of the kidney. Once ingested, the poison will act on the kidneys and get absorbed fast.

If there is no quick intervention, it can lead to lethargy, kidney failure, and even death. If you suspect that your cat may have ingested the plant, you need to call your veterinarian immediately.

READ ALSO:  How soon can you mow after spraying weed killer?

What are the symptoms of Easter lily poisoning in cats?

Easter lily poisoning symptoms in cats include:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Twitching
  • Seizures
  • Salivation
  • Depression

You have a small window to take your cat to a veterinarian once you see the above symptoms. The signs will begin a few hours after it has ingested the plant. If you stay more than a day, kidney damage will occur.

Are Easter lilies poisonous to dogs?

Although Easter lilies are toxic to cats, they are non-toxic to dogs. But that does not mean your dog should ingest it. When your puppy consumes bits of the plant, it will leave it with a stomach upset and digestive issues.

Gastrointestinal upset can occur in dogs because their digestive systems are weak at processing plant material. Once that happens, your pup will exhibit symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration

Although Easter lilies are poisonous to pets, especially cats, the plants may not cause organ damage to dogs. However, visit a veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment.

Are Easter lilies poisonous to humans?

Easter lilies are not poisonous to humans. However, they can cause specific side effects when eaten raw.

Furthermore, the sap contained inside the plant’s stems and leaves can be an irritant and cause burning on your skin or blistering on your mouth and esophagus you chew or swallow the leaves.

READ ALSO:  How long after weed killer can I plant grass seed

Like dogs and cats, humans will show specific symptoms after ingesting lilies. These include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Drowsiness
  • Weakness

A person can also experience blurriness of vision or depression. Depression tends to be an advanced case, which means one has eaten the plant in excess. If you suspect your child or any other person has consumed Easter lilies, phone your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.

Conclusion

Although Easter lilies are beautiful to grow at home, they are toxic to birds and cats. The plants can also cause specific side effects to humans and dogs. But cats are more susceptible and ingesting the plant can lead to kidney damage. Visit a doctor or a veterinarian if you suspect Easter lily poisoning.

Disclaimer: The content on this page is for informational purposes only and not veterinary or medical advice. If you think your child or pet has eaten something potentially toxic, seek immediate treatment.

Related Guides

css.php