If you have tried eliminating weeds at home using methods such as spreading granular, burning, or digging out, you will notice that these options can be time-consuming and not as effective.
But one method worth considering is spraying. Ideally, liquid weed spray provides better control of unwanted plants than using granular products.
You can use the best hand pump sprayer to cover more weeds thoroughly or do spot treatment of lawn weeds with a liquid.
A pump sprayer pushes and pulls fluids out of a tank to a spray nozzle. Depending on your needs, you can use it to fertilize your garden, eliminate pests, destroy fungi, and get rid of weeds from your lawn.
An advantage of weed sprayers is they have an interchangeable nozzle that allows you to distribute the contents in the tank in a consistent pattern or a pattern ranging from a broad fan to a narrow stream.
However, pump sprayers for weeds come in different sizes and shapes, making it challenging for you to determine the most effective sprayer for your needs.
Top 4 weed sprayer pumps
Here are the top-rated pump sprayers for weeds:
- Best overall – CHAPIN 20000 Garden Sprayer 1 Gallon Lawn.
- Best sprayer for distance – Roundup Pump ‘N Go 2 Sprayer.
- Best portable sprayer – Itisll Portable Garden Pump Sprayer.
- Best universal pump sprayer – Deck & Home 190399 Universal Sprayer.
What is a pump spray?
A weed sprayer is a backpack sprayer that allows you to submerge your garden or lawn with any chemical to kill weeds.
You can wear it on your back effortlessly and dispense your yard with the liquid in the tank to eliminate unwanted plants.
How to choose the best pump sprayers for weeds
Choosing a pump sprayer for your weeds can be challenging because of the different sizes, shapes, and models available.
Here are some factors you should consider:
Type of sprayer
Pump sprayers for weeds come in five types; a backpack, hose-end, handheld, wheeled, and battery-powered sprayer.
Each has a specific working mechanism and the area it can cover when filled with the liquid treatment.
A pump sprayer can either have a battery-powered pump or a manual piston.
Battery-powered sprayers have an electric motor that eliminates the need to pump by hand. The manual one requires you to pump by hand.
The tank capacity for most pump sprayers is between three-quarters of a gallon and two gallons. But you can also get large ones that start from 3-6 gallons.
The nozzle determines the output volume and the spray pattern of the sprayer.
Consider one with an adjustable nozzle. However, you can also get a sprayer with interchangeable nozzles.
Also, consider choosing a pump sprayer with multiple applications, ranging from pest control and weed control to lawn fertilization.
The best pump sprayers for weeds – reviews & buying guide
If you are looking for the best pump sprayer for weeds, here are the top four options on the market:
1. CHAPIN 20000 Garden Sprayer
If you have a small area and want a small pump sprayer that can dispense the liquid treatment effectively, the CHAPIN 20000 Garden Sprayer is what you need.
The sprayer is ideal for multiple applications, including weed control, pest control, and lawn fertilization. Furthermore, it features a one-gallon tank and an ergonomic handle that makes pumping and carrying easy.
An issue you may find with the garden sprayer is that the locking mechanism on the cap tends to break when you tighten it too much.
However, the advantages of the unit include:
- It has an anti-clog filter that ensures a steady and clog-free spray.
- Lightweight enough to lug around.
- Its tank is rust-free since it is made using polyethene.
- It is easy to use and maintains good pressure.
- The reach on the sprayer is impressive.
Get the CHAPIN 20000 garden sprayer from Amazon or Chapin MFG.
2. Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III with Pump ‘N Go 2 Sprayer
If you are looking for value in a pump sprayer for weeds, Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III with Pump ‘N Go 2 Sprayer is the best option for you.
The sprayer comes in a 1.33-gallon tank that is enough to cover an area of approximately 400 square feet. You can use it in and around vegetable gardens, tree rings, flower beds, patios, and more.
Although the pump suffers from frequent clogs, it has several advantages, including:
- It is easy to refill.
- Has an extendable wand.
- It provides up to ten minutes of continuous spray.
Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III is available on Amazon as well as other leading online stores.
3. Itisll Portable Garden Pump Sprayer
If you want a portable and multi-purpose pressure sprayer, then go for the Itisll Portable Garden Pump Sprayer.
The pump sprayer comes with an adjustable brass rod nozzle that can adjust the intensity of the water spray from direct injection to fine mist spray.
Also, the sprayer has a comfortable 50-inch hose and extended 23-inch spray stick that helps spray longer distances or inaccessible places.
You can use it in many applications, including irrigating plants, controlling pests, and spraying your lawn with herbicide to kill unwanted weeds.
The only issue you may find with the sprayer is that the pickup tube inside the tank keeps splitting and falling off of the screw-on cap. This means you will have to repair it on most occasions before use.
Despite this, the advantages of the sprayer include:
- It has a comfortable and robust pressure bar.
- It comes with an ergonomic handle that can facilitate long-time spray operation.
- Its adjustable shoulder strap makes it easy to hang the sprayer on the body for easy movement.
You can buy the Itisll Portable Garden Pump Sprayer on Amazon.
4. Deck & Home 190399 Universal Sprayer
If you are looking for a highly efficient pump sprayer for weeds that requires fewer pumps per gallon, the 2-gallon Deck & Home 190399 Universal Sprayer is worth considering.
It features a premium shut-off with a comfort grip and lockable shut-off to ensure continuous spraying. Furthermore, it comes with four nozzles to provide versatility and better performance of the sprayer.
Although the pump takes longer to pressurize, it has several advantages, including:
- It safely releases pressure from the tank before opening to refill.
- The sprayer is simple to use.
- It offers good value for money.
Visit Amazon or Home Depot to get the Deck & Home 190399 Universal Sprayer.
How much PSI does a pump sprayer have?
Most handheld pump sprayers have a plastic compression pump sealed with rubber O-rings. The compression pump is hand-actuated to an operating pressure of 40 PSI.
At 40 PSI, you can finely atomize the resulting spray to give broader superior coverage and penetration of the liquid in the tank.
Why is my pump sprayer not working?
A pump sprayer can stop working if debris blocks the nozzle, the inner tube is not immersed in the fluid, or the piston seal is damaged.
You can try the following to fix it:
- Ensure the lid is on tight to allow the sprayer to operate well.
- Operate the pump by twisting it to unlock the handle.
- Pump at least 20 times to pressurize the sprayer.
Consider removing any obstacle blocking the nozzle and ensure that you have enough liquid inside the tank.
How do you refill a pump sprayer?
You can refill a high-pressure hand pump sprayer by following the steps below:
- Depressurize the pump sprayer by pushing the handle completely down and turning it anticlockwise until it releases all the pressure.
- Remove the cap from the tank by turning the handle anticlockwise, unscrewing, and pulling it out of the container.
- Pour the liquid herbicide or weed killer into the empty sprayer. Pour slowly to prevent foaming. Avoid overfilling the pump sprayer.
At this point, you can replace the cap and turn the handle clockwise until it is tight.
How to use a pump sprayer
If you are new to a garden weed sprayer, here is how to use it:
- Add the correct amount of herbicide and water into the pump sprayer for the area you want to treat. Leave about a third of the tank empty, so pressure can build up when pumping up the tank.
- Pressurize the tank by screwing the top of the sprayer back on the tank.
- Pump the handle up and down until it becomes hard to push back down.
- Push the handle down and twist it clockwise to lock it in place.
- Adjust the nozzle by rotating the tip of the nozzle.
- You can adjust the spray path to a wide spray pattern or specific stream.
- Apply the weed-killer liquid by pulling the trigger on the nozzle to spray it.
- You can cover a broad area by using a slow zigzag motion back and forth in strips.
- Spray the liquid until you have covered the whole area.
If you run out of the liquid weed killer, refill the tank and continue spraying. Ensure to use protective clothing during the treatment.
If you are looking for the best pump sprayer for weeds, consider the CHAPIN 20000 or the Roundup Ready-To-Use sprayer. You can use them to fertilize your lawn and control pests and weeds in your garden.
Other pump sprayers worth your buck include the Itisll Portable Garden Pump Sprayer or Deck & Home 190399 Universal Sprayer.
- How to troubleshoot a Roundup Pump Sprayer
- Top reasons why a pump sprayer may stop working
- What you should do with dead weeds after spraying
IW’s Chief Editor and a lover of green spaces.